Sunday 17 November 2013

Author Interview with Evelyne Stone ~ Destroying the Wrong





Interview Nov 2013
Evelyne Stone


Tell us a little about yourself and when you decided to start writing?

I met my best friend back in 2005.  She is a fellow nerd and also happens to be an aspiring author.  I always thought she was crazy because every time I sat down to begin writing, my mind would go blank.  Another friend of mine met me for coffee in May of this year and we began talking about writing.  It was as if we dared each other to finish a book.  I’m very competitive and had to get it done.  I just finished book 2 in my first series.  My mind won’t stop now.  I look for potential stories everywhere.  I’m now a certified book nerd.


Unfortunately bullying is still going on. What inspired you to write Destroying the Wrong? And is there a message you want your readers to take from this book?

Back in the days, when someone was bullied, they would fight it out and beat the crap out of each other.  Students who talked back to their teachers were smacked on the ass by the principal.  Society has changed and bullying is getting much worse.  When I was in high school, there wasn’t too much physical bullying but rather mental.  Now, mental bullying is so much easier to get away with because of social media.  I won’t get on my soap box, but I think we need to do something about it.
Destroying the Wrong is about different types of bullying.  Kat is dealing with bullying from jerks at school.  She was humiliated in front of her classmates and that’s not something you can just get over because pictures are taken, videos are recording actions and people think it’s funny to join in.  Alissa is dealing with some of the same things and her story will progress through book two.  Matt learns to deal with bullying at school but he’s also dealing with bullying at home.  I wanted to show a variety of ways someone can be bullied and by laughing at or not reporting others actions, doesn’t help stop the bullying.



How often do you write and what's the hardest and easiest part of writing a book?

I write every single day.  I try to take breaks but it’s like an addiction.  The easiest part is coming up with the idea and writing.  Editing, revisions, re-writes, marketing, and more editing…that’s the hardest part.  It’s hard to stay motivated when you have a million other things to do at the same time.  My poor kids eat a lot of pizza right now.



What are you reading now? And what do you think makes a good book?

I’m re-reading my go-to book when I need inspiration.  JM Hill wrote a book called “Saving Grace.”  It’s a beautiful story.  Everything you need in one book.  Great character development, comedy, love (no sex) and moments of tears.  I think a good book is one that can be told without fillers or too much detail.  If an author can paint a picture in your head so that when you’re done you miss the characters and the location…that to me is a good book.


How do you market your work. What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

Marketing is an illusion.  You think you finally figured it out but you never do.  Readers have so many avenues to take when they want to find book recommendations it’s impossible to keep up.  I love blogs because they make marketing fun for authors.  Word-of-mouth is still the best way to market BUT you have to first find people to read your book.


Who was your favorite character to write about and why?

That’s a tough one because I can relate to both my main characters.  I think Kat is my favorite because she’s got a really good heart.


Can you tell us about your upcoming book and when we should expect it?

Denying the Wrong is book two in the series.  I’m hoping to have it out in December.  It’s a continuation of book one but the girls are starting community college.  They’re both still trying to find their way.  I think they both thought life after high school would magically change.  We’ll see how they deal with transitions, especially when real life gets in the way.


What do you do to relax?

I take a couple hours during the morning while the kids are at school and the man is at work.  I don’t do anything in particular but it’s relaxing being able to watch the news or surf the internet without hearing “mommy” or “babe the kids need you.”  If someone else is in the house with me, I can’t relax.


What is your favorite quote?
“Everything happens for a reason.”  I don’t know who first said that but I’m sure it was a cavewoman saying that to her daughter after the boy next door dumped her.


Series or standalone?

I like series only because if I enjoy the characters, I don’t want it to ever end.


Write with music or in silence?

Silence!  I’m a huge music junkie and tend to sing along.


What of you think of "trailers" for books?

I think they’re cool but really, I like the version in my head much better.  That’s why I’m not thrilled about 50 Shades turning into a movie…or any book for that matter.  I yell at the screen, “That’s not what so-and-so should look like!”


What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Find a really good support group and an awesome editor.  I have fabulous support groups that I talk to on a daily basis.  And no matter how good you write, a really fabulous editor will make it that much better.


How can readers get in touch with you and find out about your work?

-website:  evelynestone.wordpress.com
-facebook :  www.facebook.com/evelynestone
-Twitter:  @evelynestone78
-goodreads:  www.goodreads.com/author/show/7106623.Evelyne_Stone
-amazon:  www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A6361435011%2Ck%3Adestroying+the+wrong&keywords=destroying+the+wrong&ie=UTF8&qid=1383944642&rnid=133141011
-smashwords:  www.smashwords.com/books/view/360260


No comments:

Post a Comment